It is almost summer and that means the year is already halfway done.
If you are like me, you made a list of goals to start the year off. Making goals is a great first step to learning and growing, but it is always good to review them periodically and see how it is going.
So that’s what I am going to do today! I will fill you in on most of my goals for this year and find out what ones I am doing great at and which ones need more focus.
I followed Zig Ziglar‘s wheel of life plan for making my goals. It is the concept that there are 7 main areas of life that need to be balanced. If one is out of line, then everything starts to get shaky.
Here are the 7 areas and my goals:
- Physical: Lose 20lbs by the end of the year and get down to 135lbs. Accomplish this through portion control, CrossFit at least 3x a week, swimming/running once a week, Paleo+butter and cheese.
- Financial: Become debt free by May 2012. Finish 3 month emergency fund by the end of the year.
- Intellectual: Read one business/self-development book a month. Take 3 classes this year for college.
- Family: Go on more regular dates with my husband. Call my mom and sister at least once a week.
- Social: Hang out with a girlfriend every 2 weeks. Call a friend from home (Syracuse) once a week.
- Spiritual: Listen to a podcast once a week. Spend an hour every week contemplating life and goals.
- Career: Score well on my Navy rating exam (for promotion). Get a great evaluation at work.
So there they are. Now it’s time to see how it is going.
- Physical: Well, I haven’t lost any weight, but I haven’t gained any either. Nutrition is my downfall. I don’t drink alcohol or coffee so at least once a week I will have gluten free pasta or full on gluten filled pizza for fun. Portion control when I eat these things unfortunately goes out the window. The past couple weeks I have been feeling fed up with myself on this issue. I have now been a week of Paleo+butter and some dairy, and I am feeling good about keeping it up. On the upside, I am seeing great improvements in strength and metabolic capacity from my workout program which is encouraging!
- Financial: We’re debt free! As of May 15th we paid off our last school loan. We have begun saving for our three month emergency fun and I feels great.
- Intellectual: I am averaging one book every 2 months. A bit slower than I had wanted but still progress. I am also in my second college class and on track to take a third before the year is out.
- Family: Dating my husband at least once every 2 weeks is a blast. Getting out of the household routine is really fun. I have been keeping in fairly good touch with my mom and sis as well. Some weeks are really busy, but we usually make up for that.
- Social: Calling friends from home is great, especially since we are moving back in a year and a half. However, I struggle with making time for girlfriends out here. Everyone is married and several have young baby’s so it is sometimes hard to work that out with schedules. I want to work on this area.
- Spiritual: No podcasts, but lots of time spent contemplating. I think this is an area I would like to spend more time in.
- Career: I am really happy with this area. I scored well on my test and am moving closer to promotion. I also got a good evaluation.
Overall, I am feeling fairly balanced. A bit more time in the spiritual and social areas would do me good though.
I like having direction and goals to move forward to, but I also try to be realistic and cut myself some slack. Goals should be inspiring, not a vehicle for guilt.
How are you doing on your goals? Have you accomplished any big goals so far? What do you want to change?